Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Wiz ~ The Westcoast Black Theatre Troupe ~ Sarasota, FL



I moved to Naples, Florida in August 2014 from Cleveland, Ohio and have lived in Michigan, Illinois, South Dakota, Pennsylvania, Japan, and South Africa plus traveled many places domestic and internationally.  I enjoy all theatre but love my black productions. With this said, I have seen great theatre throughout my travels, but have now found a true treasure right here in Florida.

During the 2014 Christmas season I had the desire to see someone's rendition of Black Nativity here in Florida. In Cleveland, Ohio I worked at the Karamu Theatre and enjoyed working lighting/sound and assisting with building sets for their various plays, including Black Nativity. The closest theatre I could find playing Black Nativity was in Sarasota almost 2 hours north of Naples. The name of the location, The Westcoast Black Theatre Troupe 1646 10th Way. I called and was told the production was sold out and that stand-by seating might be available but not guaranteed. So I took a chance and drove 2 hours north to Sarasota. I managed to get one ticket as stand-by and the rest is history.  I have been a season ticket holder every since. If you are ever in the Sarasota, Florida area please take the time to try and see one of this theatre's productions. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed.

As always this Troupe does a fabulous job with every production.  The Wiz was very entertaining & I  believe the largest cast, to date, since I've been attending.  I am always amazed with their creativity with limited space & resources.  I absolutely love how they created the munchkins! I really wish they would allow us to take photos so that I could share with you on my blog.  But I will continue to share & promote each production in hopes that others will be motivated to attend.  I am sure they will continue to do a wonderful job & I cannot wait for the Black Nativity production!  



No comments:

Post a Comment